May 4, 2006

Don't Nuke Iran

You may have read in the news recently about revelations that the United States is considering plans for a nuclear strike on Iran. I know I'm not alone in thinking this is an insane way to tell a country that it's wrong to develop nuclear weapons.

And where would these weapons come from? The type of weapons the US are including in their plans could be among those stored in Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Turkey and the UK.

Join me in asking for a simple assurance from the NATO countries which host American nuclear weapons that they'll not endorse or cooperate with a pre-emptive nuclear strike on Iran.

When I first heard that the US still maintains 480 nuclear weapons in NATO bases in Europe I was shocked. I find it hard to comprehend that in 2006, 16 years after the cold war ended, those of us who live here are still sitting on such a dangerous legacy.

The Bush Administration can't treat Europe as a convenient parking lot for its destructive missiles. The situation in Iran brings home a very scary fact: the Bush administration could implicate independent European nations in a war that shuns diplomatic solutions and invites retaliation, with or without the consent of the countries that host those nuclear weapons.


This is part of the action alert newsletter from Greenpeace that arrived in my mailbox. Please add your signature here.

.