Oct 31, 2005

Yo Grim Reaper!


I am a person torn between two cultures. The Greeks do not have Halloween! And I'm pissed. Sure... they go and import St.Valentine's Day but do they bring Halloween? No! They have "Mardi Gras Carnivals" 40 days before Lent [Easter] where people wear costumes and do extra-silly things at parties but that just doesn't cut it for me.

Growing up in the States, I was not allowed to go trick-or-treating, so I've been deprived of my share of candy corn and M&M's and I have post-childhood nightmares of unattainable caramel apple-sticks and Snicker bars... SLAP - pull yourself together WOMAN!

Back on track: I miss Halloween. I miss the spooky, eerie ambience of that last day of October because Halloween has one great purpose of existence: To ridicule death!

Goofy ghosts, immortal vampires, silly after-life beings etc. Living and dead all party-mingling, apple-bobbing, trick-or-treating. As I grow older, I appreciate this aspect of Halloween even more. I'd like to be wearing my nutty witch's costume the day the Grim Reaper comes for me.

BOO! I may not scare him away, but I'll be holding my sides laughing while he drags me off...


P.S. Since it's Halloween:
Want to Get Sorted?
I'm a Ravenclaw!