Mar 1, 2006

Calamari's on! Come and get it!

Monday March 6th (2006) marks the end of Greek Mardi Gras (Apokries) and the Lent kick-off for Easter. The first of the 40-day fasting period is celebrated with picnics and kite-flying. The correlation, you ask? *shrug shoulders* Flubberwinkle is flummoxed.

I'm not the proper authority to give you any ecclesiastical aspects on Lent; I'll just give you the layman's diet version. "Clean Monday" (Kathara Deftera) is a non-dairy, non-land-foraging-animal products day. Anything you bring to your lips and consequently chew has to be vegan. Molluscs are the "main course", anything that slides, shimmies or just sits still in the ocean is Clean Monday approved FOOD. It's OPEN SEASON for shrimp, octopuses, squid, clams and all invertebrates. That'll teach them not to evolve and graze on the green of the lands!

One of my favourite recipes for "Clean Monday" is stuffed calamari. And this (yet another) informative article is brought to you because I came across this cephalopod.

I was wondering how many kilos of rice I'd need to sauté and stuff this sucker?
By Jove/Zeus! I don't even want to think of how I'd react if I saw something like this swimming next to me in the Aegean or the Ionian Sea.