Nov 26, 2006

Hanging out with the Golden Girls

My grandmother, the same one I mentioned a few posts back, is in hospital because of a stroke. She's out of the woods and her hospitalization is to find out what caused the strokes. But, let's be honest; she IS around 97. We love her deeply and want her to be healthy and with us for a very long time, but her age, justifiably, might warrant a blind date with the Grim Reaper, so we're prepared for the worst.

Although she's the oldest in her hospital ward, she's the healthiest Golden Girl in there. The room has 7 beds. They're all occupied with Grandmas younger than mine. Mine's just in denial of her age, which might be the secret to her longevity.

The first night of her admittance, whilst trying to get accustomed to her new surroundings, she heard another patient across the room moaning loudly in pain. She looked around and tried to pinpoint which ailing woman was making these sounds.

My grandma inquired, "Why is that old lady yelling?"

The scene might not have been funny but the fact that MY old lady was 20 years older than THAT old lady just added an uncanny comic relief to it.

p.s. I'm off for my night shift with Grandma again.
But I DO have a rant to get off my chest:

TURN OFF YOUR GODDAM CELL PHONES IN THE HOSPITAL ROOMS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE SITTING WITH AN AILING PERSON. AT NIGHT!

OLD LADIES DO NOT APPRECIATE THE UPBEAT RHYTHM OF YOUR COOL RING TONE.
SHAKIRA'S HIPS MAY LIE, BUT I WILL KICK YOUR ASS TONIGHT, SO HELP ME, IF I HEAR IT AGAIN!!!!


.