Feb 2, 2007

Baby talk

Yesterday I was talking to Mom on the phone. I asked how her almost 2-month baby grandson (my nephew) was faring, since she lives in the apartment above my brother and sister-in-law. She plunged into a detailed description (my Mom is famous for) of how cute and smart he is.

-I keep talking to him and he looks like he's actually paying attention and follows me around with his eyes.

-Wow, that's great.

-He looks like he recognizes me, maybe it's because I keep talking and talking to him.

-Awwww, that's adorable.

-I know it sounds funny, Athena, but I actually think he's trying to babble something back to me.

-Gee Mom, do you think he's struggling to form the words "please stop Grandma?"

-No smartypants.

.

7 comments:

EllasDevil said...

I missed the original post (the one you linked too) but I just read it now and it's too funny.

I have the same problem with both of my parents but I can cope with the endless chatter, it's the fact they've forgotten they've already told me and proceed to tell me the same story at least 3 or 4 times in detail.

The best is when my mom talks about my aunty to me and I reply to every statement with "I know, I was there!"

Mothers(!)

Flubberwinkle said...

EllasDevil,
The child in me agrees with you!

The mother in me has one reply:
Children(!)
:-D

Snake (a Cambridge kind of guy) said...

Sometimes very smart people seem a good dealwv less than that when talking about young children.

mamselle said...

it's good your mother has a sense of humour ;)

V-Grrrl said...

I love these sorts of conversations since I'm prone to being smart and sassy myself.

Sylvana said...

She sounds like a pretty proud grandma. I don't think I would want to be living that close to my parents with a baby (to much back-seat parenting) - although it is nice to have a virtual live-in sitter!

nuntius said...

We are all waitting for the "sex talk" with the nephew, i vote for Flubby to handle that! I heard she is very good at this! Ask daughter #1&2 about it :P