Jun 1, 2009

Words on a Wall



Words on a Wall, originally uploaded by flubberwinkle.
I took a photo of this graffiti at the entrance of my friend's, Eleni's, home.
When Eleni came to came to the door to greet me she saw me taking the photo with my cell phone and giggled, "You know who wrote this? I did!".

Eleni is no longer with us and neither is the graffiti.
When I went to Eleni's home after the funeral I saw that someone (probably the building manager) had painted over it.

There was a lot of profound and witty graffiti written in Athens during the December '08 riots and my restless friend wanted to add her voice to the protests of young Alexandros Grigoropoulos' murder in December 2008. Her battle with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma wouldn't allow her to take part in marches and demonstrations. But Eleni found a way to protest. I'm glad I preserved it.