Jan 15, 2014

Missing March



If I had to place a title on my life in 2013 that's what it would be: Missing March and most of April as well.

Brain surgery. It screws up your time schedule. Early March, I had a benign tumor removed from my brain via my nostrils.

The upside is that medical science has so far advanced that there is a procedure that doesn't require your skull being drilled. Nevertheless, the downside is that things that poke actually go into your brain, they prod and dance around up there and yank the yucky gooey stuff out. Apparently, the stuff that gets removed may have been there for years and suddenly your brain has to deal with the GAP. (Not my words, my neurosurgeon's).
This GAP left me with some heavy duty headaches that rendered me useless for several minutes many times a day. It felt like someone squeezing your brain to get juice and then suddenly release. Meanwhile, you remain frozen with tears in your eyes, motionless waiting for the pain to subside.

Now, I'm pretty good at keeping my cool when it comes to medical issues but juuuuust in case, I didn't do any in depth research on the internet BEFORE the surgery because I was content with my doctors' explanations. Also, because I'm a the-glass-is-half-full kinda gal, I trust people and hoped for the best. On the other hand I was also resigned to the idea of "hey, whatever happens, happens. Whadda ya gonna do".

I didn't allow myself to fret beforehand for something that may or may not happen. Few people in my life found this natural and logical, others looked at me with a worried brow "it's b-r-a-i-n surgery, this is major shit".
And they were right, the worriers.