Oct 1, 2005

Editing my favorites profile...

Since I started my lil' ole blog (btw thank you blogger.com), I have visited my "Edit Profile" a lot of times. What defines a person by their favorite music, their favorite books, the template layout and color they choose? Should I put this in? Should I leave that out? What will people think? Do I care? I like Foreigner, Journey, ELO, Mozart, Black Sabbath, Enya, Lynnyrd Skynnyrd, Harry Connick Jr, Joan Baez, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Air Supply, REM, Barbra Streisand, Queen, Genesis, Bob Dylan, Mikis Theodorakis, Phil Collins, Moody Blues, Keane,,, my CD collection goes on and on. I've read many, many books... How do you pinpoint some particular author down? Even books I haven't enjoyed have taught me something: What I don't like.

Artistic favorites are too abstract for me.

Ask me my favorite colour: BLUE (even green-blueish like this soothing template layout), ask me my favorite food (so far): Chocolate. I am absolutely sure about these things NOW. (When my cholestorol and blood sugar shoots up I'll probably be replying: tofu & carrots are my favorite foods).

We have a right to change our minds... "favorites" should vary in a person's life because they should be expanding their minds, tastebuds, hearing abilities, etc. "Favorites" are a long list of been-theres, done-thats. Moving on, finding out new things. But for the sake of keeping your profile short on your blog you have to narrow it down.

The one song that usually comes to mind - whether happy or sad: The Rose by Bette Midler (she's also one of my favorite actresses). Celine's voice and in particular, a song about her dying niece was an inspiration to me when there were serious family health problems. I grew up in love with Kansas & Eagles. These 2 groups defined my high-school status (and we all know how important that is). They are the 2 most "wanna-see-live-in-concert" bands. The Eagles flew apart, but I was lucky to see Kansas LIVE in Athens this summer (my teenage daughter accompanying me raised an unapproving eyebrow of my head-banging).

I've been around the Internet long enough to know that you can't trust what you read in peoples' profiles. The anonymity behind a screen gives you leeway to say just about any B.S. about yourself. I have never before endeavored in a "personal site" and I was pretty hesitant about placing "favorites" info out there for all the world to nit and pick at... but what can I do... My favorites are a small sneak preview of me. Ta-daaaa!

..