Jun 30, 2006

This is where the Internet rolls its eyes

I have a confession Internet. A small cultural transgression, that could make you storm out of this blog, mouse trailing, never to revisit me again. But, I need to get this off my chest once and for all. What you are about to read might make you raise a disapproving eyebrow, roll your eyes and cringe away.

I like boy band music.

Yes, Internet, I own Backstreet Boys' Greatest Hits and the fact that I can't have Westlife and NSync in my collection is a direct result of Goth Daughter's threats and show of disgust that we could ever be related. (This from a kid who asked Grandma to get her the "Spice Girls" CD back in the seventh grade. Sheesh).

I think it all began back with the Bay City Rollers. Mom wouldn't let me hang posters of them or David Cassidy (who "thought he loved me") in my room. She'd go "ti tous theleis tous malliades!" Which loosely translates: "What do you want with those long-haired no-good-doers" which really meant "if he's not Greek and doesn't have short hair, I will die from a heart attack".

Unrelenting, I saved my allowance to buy their LPs and kept them secretly stashed in my bookcase behind piles of Nancy Drew books. Boy bands helped me oppose what was proper and expected of me. Little did I know that I'd get hooked.

This post was triggered by the news that Kevin Richardson decided that it is time to leave the Backstreet Boys. The end of boy bands, the end of my teen years. Sigh, all things must come to an end, I guess.
I have to go now and take down their poster that I kept concealed in the back of my closet.

:-)

.