Dec 7, 2008

His schoolmates called him Gregory...

As the story behind the murder of 15 year old Alexandros Grigoropoulos, shot down by a police officer last night, unfolds, I can't stop thinking of Alexandro's mother.

How he called her to tell her that he was OK and was going out with a couple of friends to celebrate their nameday on St.Nicholas' Day.

How ten minutes later she got another call from her son's cell phone telling her to come quick, her son had been shot down by a cop.

How they had spoken for the last time, unaware that Death was seconds away, disguised as a policeman who pointed the gun directly at Alexandro's heart because he didn't like being called "cop/μπάτσος"...

How the shot that pierced his young heart unleashed unfathomable public fury that enough is enough with police brutality.

How my daughters... anyone's child...
could have been in Alexandro's place.

How the Greek police keep coming up with various lies to cover up their brutalities... "the police officer shot warning shots in the air which ricocheted in the victim's heart"... (Even the defense attorney to one police officer quit a few hours after he took on the case..).

Remember the "flower box" (ζαρντινιέρα) incident? Greek policemen almost beat a Greek-Cypriot student to death and said his wounds were a result of him tripping over a flower box (!!!)... Luckily for the victim there was video footage of the policemen's brutal attack against him. But to what end? The police officers were cut back some wages and fined and this was regarded as "punishment" for almost taking a human life because they were "overzealous" in their duties.

As long as police brutality goes unpunished and the Greek State tolerates and gives the orders to use force... then the repressed will justifiably fight back.

Do I care about the window shops and vandalisms right now? No.

I'm thinking how much a child's life is worth.

I'm thinking of how Alexandros fell dead and his mother and loved ones will never see him again.

I'm thinking he was only... 15.



Από το μπλόγκ του "έφηβου", πρώην συμμαθητή του αδικοχαμένου 15χρονου: Δολοφόνησαν τον GREGORY (Αλέξανδρο Γρηγορόπουλο)



8 comments:

Eva_school said...

(a tribute to Alexandros Grigoropoulos, the 15 year old boy who was murdered by a cap on 6/12/08)

Όσα νιώθω εγώ, εσύ... Αυτός ο θυμός...

ΙMAGINE ME AS THE WORLD
Imagine me as a soldier in Vietnam, imagine me as an officer in New York, imagine me as father in poverty, imagine me as an assassin in a war and tell if I am wrong..........
Imagine me as president in an abandoned country, imagine me as a boy with fake dreams, imagine me as an old woman without hope, imagine me as a book without words and tell me if I am wrong............
Imagine me as an empty trash can, imagine me as a shelf without things, imagine as an instrument without sound, imagine me as a human without soul, imagine me as an empty temple and tell me if I am wrong...........
Imagine me as the last human ON THE EARTH, imagine me as the last animal, imagine me as a truth without lies, imagine me as a dead child, imagine me as a notebook without notes, imagine me as a kid without dreams and tell me if I am wrong..........
Imagine me as a gun without bullets, imagine me as car without gas, imagine me as a desert without oasis and tell me if I am wrong...........
Imagine me as a justice without eyes, imagine me as dead land, imagine me as a thief in a prison, imagine me AS THE JUDGEMENT DAY, imagine me as the last shot of a war, imagine me as Devil transformed in God and tell me if I am wrong.........
Imagine me as a dream without completion, imagine me as a vision without point, imagine me as a movie without film, imagine me as a blind president, imagine me as humanity without history, imagine me as a man without past and tell me if I am wrong.............
Imagine me as a poem without feelings, imagine me as school without laughter, imagine me as drink without taste, imagine me as suicided man and tell me if I am wrong........
Imagine, just ONLY IMAGINE HUMAN WITHOUT FEELINGS, HUMAN WITHOUT HEARTTTTTTT SOULLLLLLLLL, MIND TO THINK THE REALITY AND DO THE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Just imagineeee...........
Imagine me as a war without ending, imagine me as a soldier without mercy and tell me if I am wrong.........
Imagine me as a student without VOICE, imagine me as a country in anarchy, imagine me as an enraged PERSON, imagine me as people full of anger, imagine me as a galaxy without planets and tell me if I am wrong........
Imagine me as an orphan in Africa, imagine me as a blank paper, imagine me as deal without rules, imagine me as a land without water, imagine me as present without future, imagine me as a map without coordinates and tell me if I am wrong.........
Just imagine the life without death……..

Thodoris B.
15 years old,
Rethymno

deviousdiva said...

Tears. Only tears.
Thank you for being a mothers voice in this chaos. I can't post at the moment because of server problems but if I could I wish I could have written this...

EllasDevil said...

So how many more people have to die?

Because all this vandalism and the throwing of petrol bombs is going to lead to just that.

I actually do care about the bigger picture. There needs to be calm... the police officer needs to be dealt with by justice. Not by anarchists with petrol bombs.

The repressed? These petrol bombing wielding anarchists are repressed? Give me a break! They wouldn't get away with this behavior anywhere else.

EllasDevil said...

I just re-read my comment and realized that I didn't bear reference to the boy who died.

I am so sorry and my thoughts are with his family right now but I just cannot and will not view this as justification for what is going on country wide at the moment.

I don't believe for one minute that the people smashing up everything in sight at the moment really care that a 15 year old boy died. They probably don't even know his name... because this mindless violence is nothing new.

bollybutton said...

I absolutely agree with you Flubberwinkle, 100%. This is the anger of the young externalised. The government brought this entirely on themselves

V-Grrrl said...

You've been in my thoughts as these events unfolded in Greece and were reported around the world.

So sorry, esp. during this time of year associated with "peace on earth, goodwill toward men."

Sylvana said...

I cringe at the type of people I see going into the police force here. Screw-ups that would really like to have a little power and for people to respect them at last. No doubt you have the same type becoming police officers there as well. What is really needed is a better screening process for these positions so we don't end up with hot-headed idiots with weapons and a uniform to hide behind.

Hope things get better for Greece.

glypto said...

To both Athena and mome
I'm wishing you a Happy New Year
Vernardos