Oct 8, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love - a movie review

Last Saturday I won 2 free invitations to the preview of the film "Eat, Pray, Love" before it opened in Greek cinemas. I didn't know a lot about the movie nor had I shown any particular interest when I watched the on-line trailer. Nevertheless in these trying economic times, a free ticket is a free ticket and one should never look a gift horse in the mouth.

The movie's based on the book which is based on the true story of Elizabeth Gilbert’s search for happiness/enlightenment as she travels to Italy, India and Bali to find whatever's-missing-from-her-life (?). I couldn't understand the leading lady's dilemmas. -spoiler alert- She had love, kicked love. Found love again, kicked love again. Found love once AGAIN and kicked love again almost. Wha-?

Julia Roberts and her cute co-stars did a decent job of trying to make the movie interesting, but it was unmoving and ridiculously long: almost two and a half hours! There was something fake about the entire so-called quest.

After the first hour I kept repeating in my head "thank goodness I didn't pay any money to see this".

Even so, I DID enjoy the film's amazing cinematography and the beautiful sights of Rome, India and Bali. And thankfully there were plenty of those lovely shots.

No thumbs up for Eat, Pray, Love.

On the other hand, Daughter#2 who accompanied me to the preview, liked the film. The silver lining is that we were together for a much needed and luckily inexpensive outing on a Saturday afternoon.