Aug 25, 2006

One down, one to go.

Remember I went "woohoo" (and you, wonderful Internet, woohooed back) a couple of months ago when Daughter#1's university exam scores came out? Our family kept our excitement contained however, because university canidates had to sweat out the summer until the Ministry of Education came back with the formal, conclusive results on August 24. The wait's over and it's official. Kid's in; she managed to get in her school of choice at the University of Athens.

One down, one to go.

Daughter#2 will be starting 7th grade in two weeks and off on her six year journey of high school until she reaches the what-to-do-with-my-life crossroads. She's told us repeatedly over the past couple of years that she wants to become a chef when she grows up. Methinks she's watched one too many "Friends" episodes and idolizes Courteney Cox's role, Monica (a professional chef). Personally, I like Phoebe's character best. Ultra groovy attitude and great outfits. But I digress. Daughter#2 will undoubtedly change her mind many times until university exams. This custom is known as a teenager's prerogative in the "How to deal with teenagers" parenting guidebook handed out at family control centers.

Wishing you all a creative and productive school year, even if you don't have any kids or go to school any more.

I've always considered the start of a new school year much more promising and hopeful than New Year's Day.

Learning, discovering, opening our minds, becoming better people. What better resolution?

.

10 comments:

Snake (a Cambridge kind of guy) said...

Congratulations on #1's acceptance to the university. I'm running a few years behind: My #1 is just entering 2d grade, while #2 is starting her last year of preschool (which is harder to get into than Harvard!).

Nemertes said...

Congrats for the daughter no 1. I believe daughter no 2 will become no 1 also! :)

nuntius said...

Isn't it sooooooooooo stupid that we have to take critical desisions for our life and professional future at the age of 16-17?
Congs (this is a chalenge, next ppl who will comment has to make it shorter :P:P) for your daughter and more sucess to come!!!

xpsilikatzoy said...

ΣΥΓΧΑΡΗΤΗΡΙΑ!!!!!

Αν και δεν εκπλήσσομαι με τέτοια μάνα. Καλή χρονιά και για την μικρή.

:)

melusina said...

Congrats to Daughter #1! And you don't have to stress about it again for a couple more years. Plus, you get to keep her near to home!

Sadly, my brother-in-law didn't get in his college of choice. He is looking at programs abroad at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I know how tough it is to get in to that school.

One note of warning: just makes sure she doesn't get a big head and think her life is set now; I know too many people who fall into that trap and do nothing (literally) once they graduate.

Flubberwinkle said...

Thank you all for your kind comments (and words of wisdom from "anonymous").

Mel, You know the saying: Things always work out for the better. Your brother-in-law is probably luckier (truth be told) to be able to go abroad for studies. Good luck to him.

buruburu said...

Mabrouk. That's arabic for congratulations! You never mentioned what school she was getting into.

Flubberwinkle said...

Buruburu, Could you teach me the arabic word/phrase for thank you?

Daughter#1 is a linguist buff. After obtaining her English Proficiency at the age of 15, she had her heart set on the English Literature & Philology Dept, which is where she succeeded in getting in. Simultaneously, she's been studying Italian, Finnish and Portuguese and idolizes JRR Tolkien for making up his own languages in Lord of the Rings.
I like to think I played a small part in her linguistic achievements because I used to read to her aloud in English while I was pregnant. So, maybe there's some truth regarding embryos start learning from inside the womb.

I used to play Mozart, Abba and Billy Joel, but kid went all epic/goth/epic metal on me...
You win some, you lose some
:-)

buruburu said...

The arabic phrase for thank you is "shook-ran". The hyphen indicates a slight pause. I used english words to indicate intonation and pronounciation.
My brother is into all the Tolkien stuff, he's crazy. Even read that Silmarilion (sp?) book. Which is beyond me.

As for the music, I think it has to do with age, I used to listen to Black sabbath when I was 17 and the past couple of years I'm into soul and funk, so go figure.